Saturday, May 26, 2012

7b: Small Engine Repair Reference Center


Yamaha
1997-2002
off season storage - things I never knew to do:
flush cooling system; when refilling, check for deterioration of hoses or cracks, make sure hose clamps are tight
change the oil chaincase oil
clean the machine; get rid of dirt, grease, etc. from front to back (don't get water into engine area)
check frame, skis, etc for cracks and other damage; paint all bare metal surfaces so rust doesn't occur
check all fasteners; tighten or replace as needed
  lubricate all pivot points with low-temperature grease
check all electrical connectors and clean both halves with electrical contact cleaner; check for damage or looseness, repair or replace as needed

We just park the machines on top of wooden pallets, cover them, and they sit all winter.  They always start up the next winter with a few good pulls.

However, I got hit by another snowmachine while I was riding in early April.  My summer/fall project is to fix the damage.  There is a complete set of instructions for replacing the trailing arm that was damaged, with diagram.  I'm sure I will need help from some stronger males to untighten some of the bolts; not sure if we have anything electric that I could use for that.

I also checked Outdoor Power Equipment and looked at snowthrowers, with only pre-1990 showing.

I did find information on an MTD 600 or 650 model, but since I don't know how long we've had the thing, I wouldn't know for certain about this set of instructions.  It doesn't have the full layout of parts that my manual has, so I really can't tell if this is useful or not. I'm in agreement with other class members that without a good deal of mechanical understanding, I'd take the snowblower to get repaired by someone else.

The Marine/Boat Motors has a good Service Fundamentals for older outboards and Design Fundamentals for older outboards.  I found a Mercury 100 HP but could never get it to download.

The problem I see with this whole assignment is the idea that we can generically come up with directions for do-it-yourself "fix-its" or projects.  Everything I look at you have to know the maker and the model #, and they are not the same directions.  I can't see how to even direct someone who can't tell me the model # and make of the item they're interested in investigating to fix.

What I also don't like is that there isn't a product on the digital pipeline like Thomas.Net that lets you find products and services.  For example, I need to write a complaint letter to Nutone over how they redesign so I must spend hundreds of dollars to replace the entire vac hose/beater bar/wand when all I needed was a small metal part to fix the old beater bar that is maybe 15 years old.  Everything works except that part.  I was able to find the exact place to write to using the company name search box.

You can also find CAD drawings of items.  For example, I've used this previously to find a drawing of the wiring of the compressor for my subzero refrigerator and for a drawing of the internal workings of the charbroil grill we have that also has a rotisserie unit.

Often times, what one needs is a parts diagram and some instructions to take apart/put together and trouble shooting issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment