Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lesson4a: Live Homework Help


Lesson4a Life Homework Help

I looked at all three, then chose to use
"Can You Pass This Final 8th-Grade Exam from 1895?"

I selected this question to ask the tutor for help on:
Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth

choices I made on pull-down menu:  10th grade; earth science; discuss the topic

I was able to get on right away and pretended to be a 10th grader doing a pre-class reading activity where I didn't understand the question about movements of the earth.

The tutor Megan worked me through it, asking questions and verifying when I gave back correct answers, like the tilt of the earth being 23.5 degrees to its elliptical plane.  But I think the answers to have been approved in 1895, based on my own online research, should have been labeled rotation and revolution, with a description of each.  What the tutor said was "I believe it is just referring to the general concept of the movement" when I'd ask "I don't find any specific names in this article."  I'd said again "I don't find specific names in this article and that's what the question seems to ask," and she responded " For the moment part, this should be relating to how it spins on its axis (which direction) and how it moves around the sun".

As a tenth grader, the answer was probably fine.  As an adult who's been a teacher, I am not so sure that the answer would have received full credit in 1895!


Then I tried the Job Center.
I uploaded a cover letter I submitted to a job I was interested in applying for.  9:02 PM says you're next; not as fast as the science tutor.  9:30 PM connected to Cheryl S.  Then lost connection. 9:39 PM says thanks for patience; 9:42 PM reconnected with Lindsey B.  We stayed connected, and she was able to give some pointers/tips on improving, although nothing like what I've experienced with the University of Washington's online Writers Help, where they'd work through paragraph by paragraph with you.

The cover letter was instructed to be two pages, explaining how I obtained formalized training in each content area where I claimed expertise and how I utilize that training in practice; what measures do I take to stay current, including specific workshops attended and publications I read; why am I uniquely qualified?

Lindsey spent about 5 minutes skimming the two pages, then had these suggestions:

"My first suggestion is to edit out sections about yourself where you say, "I believe." My stating it, that tells me that you believe it. Including the statement I believe actually weakens the point by making it sound like others do not believe it.

There are also a couple of spots where the sentence runs on a little long and could be made easier to understand by splitting it into two. Let me see if I can find one again...
I'm having trouble finding it in this format. But it only happens once or twice. Look for spots where you mention going to a specific school and what you did there. Turn it into two sentences. The first can list the broad description of the job and the second can list the details.

 The only other thing that caught my eye was a sentence beginning with, "As to why I'm qualified..." You finish this sentence with attending college, graduating, getting married, and moving. It makes it sound as if this is was makes you qualified for the job.

These are really the only trouble spots I'm seeing. For the most part, the letter is a very good listing of your qualifications. Those tweaks will help it seem a bit more polished."


Both times I filled out the survey.

I'm ambivalent about these helps because I think it's the luck of the draw whether you get someone who's really good at responding/helping online or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment